sbsw translation not available
Horse Industry News
- Teo KO's his rivals
- Rattray sets his sights on Goulburn
- MSPCA-Nevins Farm Chosen as Participating Charity at 2014 Silver Oak Jumper Tournament
- SBS Farms Cleans Up HITS VIII Ocala Winter Finals, Jennifer Alfano Rides Three Mounts to Championship Wins
- Armando Costa Neto Tops 5/6-Year-Old Non-Pro At The Cattlemen's
- Final pair of WHHC qualifiers at Maywood and Balmoral
- Tuesday program canceled in London
- 2014 AQHA/NCHA Weekend Locations Announced
Featured News: Value of Collecting Semen on One MountFeature RSS Feed
March 04, 2014
It is generally known that the quality of semen after freezing is dependent upon how good the semen is immediately after collection and prior to freezing. In some cases there is nothing one can do to improve the quality of the semen collected and one has to deal with the cards he has been given. However, there have been several management factors identified that adversely affect the quality of semen collected. The goal of every collector should be to carefully prepare the AV and collect the stallion on one mount. Each time a stallion mounts and enters the AV and does not ejaculate the pre-sperm is accumulated in the bottle. After each unsuccessful collection attempt the bottle should be replaced with a warm fresh bottle. If this does not occur we know that the quality of the semen will be decreased.Read More
Featured Blog: What is Short Cycling a Mare?Blog RSS Feed
March 05, 2014
It seems daily that I am asked by clients to bring a mare into heat at a desired time to facilitate breeding, show schedules, stallion availability, synchronization with other mares, maximize early season breeding dates, or line up recipient mares with donor mares. For such a common request, and in fact, a common procedure, there are certain cases when knowing the nuisances of manipulating the length of diestrus in the mare can make or break the overall success of a reproductive cycle. In this blog article we review the process of short cycling mares.Read More
Is my mare too old to breed with frozen semen?
In older and problem mares, pregnancy rates after insemination with frozen semen are lower than AI with fresh semen. Data collected from a large number of mares indicated that pregnancy rates per cycle were reduced in mares aged ≥ 16 years old (<16yr 54% verses ≥16yr 42%). The deposition of semen in the uterus, by natural breeding or artificial insemination, causes a strong inflammatory reaction. This is a natural process designed to remove excess sperm, seminal plasma and contaminants from the uterus. Older mares appear to be less efficient at clearing this natural inflammatory process that follows mating. An inflammatory uterine environment 5 days after fertilization is incompatible with survival of the embryo. Older mares, at risk of developing a persistent inflammatory reaction after semen deposition require additional management at breeding time. Treatment strategies for this population of mares should include prompt correction of anatomical defects of the caudal reproductive tract, limited uterine exposure to semen and bacteria and support of uterine clearance from contaminants and products of inflammation. Ideally, only semen of good fertility should be used in these mares.
See also: Use of Frozen Semen in an A.I. Center: Technical Management and Obtainable Results
Previous News Articles
- Perché bisognerebbe cercare di raccogliere il seme al primo tentativo?
- In primo piano Team Member - Erin Bishop
- Update - SBSW Genetic Disease and Testing Seminar
- Featured Team Member - Erin Bishop
- Azienda Agricola I Platani
- Azienda Agricola I Platani
Previous Blog Entries
- Cosa significa accorciare il ciclo estrale di una cavalla?
- La Diarrea Neonatale- Come Evitarla
- Foal Diarrhea - Avoiding it Altogether
- Il congelamento di spermatozoi epididimali
- Che cos’è la motilità progressiva?
- Come Stimolare l’Inizio della Stagione di Monta
- The Pros and Cons Of Equine Frozen Semen
What Our Clients Say
"SBS is the most reliable and professional freezing service available. When shipping millions of dollars worth of semen to other countries, I would trust no other company."
Our AffiliatesMore Labs
Gay Bars Silver
Owner: Thousand Oaks Performance Appaloosas
Rekos Royall KIS