sbsw translation not available
Horse Industry News
- Always B Miki "Scary Good" in comeback win
- Crazy Wow continues to impress
- Keller Takes The Congress Bronze In Reining Futurity Non-Pro
- Laurie Ward Steals Snaffle Bit Spotlight
- Crazy Wow and Muscle Diamond triumph in Bluegrass male trots
- Youngsters bring 2015 season to a close at Maywood
- Paris, Las Vegas And Gothenburg In Running For 2018 FEI World Cup Finals
- Devin Ryan's Temporary Suspension Lifted
Featured News: 2015 Foal Photo Contest WinnerFeature RSS Feed
September 02, 2015
Congratulations to our 2015 Foal Photo Contest Winner! Dawn Spencer of Kalamazoo, MI has won a $75.00 Dover Saddlery gift certificate for the photo she submitted of her colt (Sternlicht GGF x Fireworks). Friends come in all shapes and sizes.Read More
Featured Blog: The Test Freeze - The First Freeze Performed on a Stallion's SemenBlog RSS Feed
August 28, 2015
The test freeze is the first freeze performed on a stallion when he comes to a Select Breeders Services (SBS) Affiliate Lab to have semen frozen. We primarily have four different semen freezing protocols that we test on each stallion. The differences between each protocol being in either the extender formulation or the rate of cooling. For subsequent freezes we choose the protocol which gives the best results as determined by post-thaw motility. Regardless of the protocol, once the straws of semen reach -120 degrees Celsius in the programmable cell freezer they are then plunged into a bath of liquid nitrogen at -196 degrees Celsius.Read More
My stallion has already been tested elsewhere; do you need to test him again?
Any stallion presented for the first time to an SBS laboratory must undergo a “test freeze” procedure. This procedure is designed to determine not only if and how well your stallion’s semen will survive freezing and thawing but also which of the various freezing protocols will produce the best results. For an SBS test freeze procedure, the ejaculate is split into 4 fractions and frozen using 4 different protocols. They vary in the extenders used and the cooling curves employed. At SBS, we produce our own proprietary extenders for semen freezing at our central laboratories and distribute them out to each of the affiliate labs. The extenders are produced under strictly controlled conditions in large volume batches, tested extensively and adjusted to ensure that the proper osmolarity and pH are maintained. There are many different ways to freeze semen and other labs outside of the SBS affiliate network have their own methods that use different extenders and processing protocols. SBS is the only equine semen freezing company that has created a network of laboratories using standardized freezing protocols that are extensively quality controlled. Additionally, all SBS labs use the same methods for analysis and determination of post-thaw quality. Once a test freeze under SBS protocol is performed, those results will be available and utilized at all other SBS affiliate laboratories, which are extensively scattered throughout the United States, Europe, and Australia. This means that you can take your stallion to any one of our affiliate laboratories and expect the same semen freezing results as the original test freeze.
Previous News Articles
- What Happens When Your Stallion Arrives at SBS?
- Featured Breeder: Dana Galliano
- Featured Team Member: Zach Kahn
- The Case Against High Starch Feeds for Pregnant Broodmares
- Featured Lab: Pioneer Equine Hospital
- Featured Breeder: Paul and Michelle Brent of Cavalli Park
- Why Utilize a SBS Mobile Laboratory?
Previous Blog Entries
- Chemical Ejaculation of the Stallion
- A Stallion Breeding Soundness Exam
- My Stallion is Not Settling His Mares...What Do I do? - Part 2
- My Stallion is Not Settling His Mares...What Do I do? - Part 1
- Declining Fertility in the Aged Stallion
- Why Colostrum Transfer is Critical to a Foal's First Weeks of Life
- Biofilms in Mare Reproduction
What Our Clients Say
"Since 1997 I have used SBSItalia’s professional services for the production, storage and international distribution of frozen semen."
Our AffiliatesMore Labs
Breed: Quarter Horse
Owner: Melinda Roffey / Robyn Long
Sire: GKB Coal Magic