Equine Facility and Horse Care Manager
Select Breeders Services-Veterinary Services, LLC (SBS-VS) is seeking to hire an energetic, motivated, and dedicated individual to join our team of equine and veterinary professionals at our Chesapeake City, Maryland breeding center. Our mare and foal facility houses and cares for 40 to 60 mares and foals depending on the season of the calendar year. We care for pregnant mares, foals through weaning, breeding mares, embryo transfer donor mares, recipient mares, and routine veterinary patients in both an in-house and ambulatory capacities. We provide routine breeding and veterinary care, referral reproductive care, management of cooled and frozen semen breeding, embryo transfer, trans-vaginal oocyte aspiration, and foaling services. Additionally, we have a dedicated herd of mares that serve as recipients to receive equine embryo transfer.
Our parent company, Select Breeders Services, is a global leader in producing equine frozen semen, storage, and distribution. The Maryland facility is the central laboratory for all affiliate SBS labs in the US. For more information on SBS-VS please see our website at: http://www.selectbreeders.com/sbsvet
Specific Duties and Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Oversee and participate in daily horse care for all client and SBS-VS owned animals. Including, but not limited, to feeding, watering, stall cleaning, turnout, grooming, and some veterinary treatments as prescribed.
- Manage, oversee, and facilitate seasonal barn staff to satisfy all horse care, facility, and office needs, including maintaining a sanitary and clean facility and office.
- Requisition and procurement of feed, hay, straw, and other needs relating to facility upkeep.
- Preparation and management of herd health protocols for SBS-VS owned animals.
- Maintain records including appropriate farrier and grooming needs of all animals.
- Set-up and management of a foal watch team to cover nightly shifts.
- Basic office duties to include medical record management and filing.
- Communicate with clients regarding arrival, departure and care of their horses.
- Great communication skills.
- Horsemanship, horse care, general horse handling, knowledge of equine nutritional requirements.
- Basic computer skills.
- Understanding of equine reproduction and breeding management.
- Be able to lift and move water buckets, bales of straw, grass hay, and alfalfa hay.
- Be able to restrain neonatal foals and manage adult equines.
- Hold a valid drivers license and able to drive a standard size pickup truck with attached trailer.
Hours: 7am-4pm Monday through Friday. Some weekend work will be required, not to include more than 2 weekends per month.
Salary: Salary is commensurate with experience and ability
Benefits: Full time employees that have completed one year of service are also eligible to participate in a company sponsored 401K and profit sharing plan. Health insurance.
Interested parties should email or mail a Letter of Interest and Resume to:
Select Breeders Services, Inc.
Attn: Jonathan Clark/Karley Milburn
961 Cayots Corner Road
Chesapeake City, Maryland 21915