Veterinary Assistant and Laboratory Technician
Select Breeders Services-Veterinary Services, LLC (SBS-VS) is seeking to hire an energetic, motivated, and dedicated individual to join our team of equine and veterinary professionals at our Chesapeake City, Maryland breeding center. Our mare and foal facility houses and cares for 20 to 60 mares and foals depending on the season of the calendar year. We care for pregnant mares, foals through weaning, breeding mares, embryo transfer donor mares, recipient mares, and routine veterinary patients in both in-house and ambulatory capacities. We provide routine breeding and veterinary care, referral reproductive care, management of cooled and frozen semen breeding, embryo transfer, trans-vaginal oocyte aspiration, and foaling services. Additionally, we have a dedicated herd of mares that serve as recipients to receive equine embryo transfer.
Our parent company, Select Breeders Services, Inc. (SBS), is a global leader in producing equine frozen semen, storage, and distribution. The Maryland facility is the central laboratory for all SBS Affiliate laboratories in North America. For more information on SBS please visit our website at: http://www.selectbreeders.com
Specific Duties and Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
Responsibilities as Veterinary Technician:
- Hold horses for veterinary procedures
- Administer medications to horses as directed by veterinarian
- Maintain horse care and medical records
- Create and implement efficient systems for medical record filing and tracking
- Communicate with clients regarding arrival and departure of horses
- Manage schedules of visiting interns and direct their duties and responsibilities
- Assist with daily horse care including occasional stall cleaning, feeding, watering, turn-out and grooming when required
- Perform evening barn checks when scheduled
Responsibilities as Laboratory Technician:
- Assist with and perform resident and trailer-in stallion collections
- Process collections for semen freezing, and maintain records as appropriate
- Assist with extender production as required
- Support storage and distribution technician when necessary
- Assist with in-house and affiliate post-thaw analysis
- Maintain cleanliness of the lab
- Complete data records, performance tracking and client reports
- Horsemanship, horse care and general horse handling.
- Basic computer skills, including Microsoft Office programs and Wise Option equine management software.
- Proficient in basic laboratory procedures - Pipeting, Dilutions, Microscopy, etc.
- Fundamental understanding of equine reproduction and breeding management
- Be able to lift and move water buckets, bales of straw and hay
- Be able to restrain neonatal foals and manage adult equines.
- Hold a valid drivers license and able to drive a standard size pickup truck with attached trailer.
- Experience working as an equine vet tech is required
- Certification as a Veterinary Technician would be beneficial.
Hours: Approx. 8am-5pm, with some flexibility in schedule required, especially during the breeding season. Primarily Monday through Friday, with rotating weekend work during the breeding season.
Salary: Salary is commensurate with experience and ability
Benefits: Full time employees that have completed one year of service are eligible to participate in a company sponsored 401K and profit sharing plan. Health insurance.
Interested parties should email or mail a Letter of Interest and Resume to:
Select Breeders Service, Inc.
Attn: Jonathan Clark/Kristin Klohonatz
961 Cayots Corner Rd