Senior Freezing Technician
Select Breeders Service, Inc. (SBS) is seeking to hire an energetic and motivated individual to join the team of professionals at our Maryland based equine reproductive technology company. With its network of 10 Affiliated Laboratories located throughout the country, SBS is the leading provider of equine semen freezing storage and distribution services in the North America. In addition to providing semen collection, evaluation and cryopreservation services to stallion owners, SBS-Maryland is the central laboratory for all US based labs and is responsible for media production, quality control, training and technical support of Affiliate personnel. For more information on Select Breeders Service and the International Network of Affiliated Laboratories please visit our website at www.selectbreeders.com.
This is a senior technician position that requires a thorough knowledge of equine reproduction as well as extensive experience in stallion management, semen collection and semen processing techniques. The ideal candidate is organized, self directed, detail oriented, flexible and a person who works well with others in a small team atmosphere. Communication skills are also essential as this position requires regular interaction with customers including providing on-site collection and freezing services and collaboration with veterinarians and farm management. A master’s degree or at least 2 years in a reproduction lab or breeding manager position is preferred.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Perform semen collections from resident and visiting stallions representing a wide variety of breeds
- Perform semen evaluation and processing procedures for cooled shipment and cryopreservation using specific SBS standard operating procedures
- Perform post-thaw semen evaluations using CASA equipment and assist with quality control analysis for the SBS Affiliate Laboratory program
- Maintain and analyze semen production and quality data and provide written reports for clients
- Assist with extender and media production
- Travel solo in mobile laboratory to local and long distance (may require 2-3 weeks offsite) clients for semen processing
- Assist with frozen semen storage and distribution program, including both domestic and international shipments
- Basic computer skills
- Microsoft office programs
- Will train to use our custom database software
- Proficient in basic laboratory procedures
- Pipeting, Dilutions, Microscopy, Microbiology, etc.
- Thorough understanding of equine reproduction and breeding management
- Significant prior experience with semen collection and evaluation procedures
- Training in specific SBS protocols will be provided
Hours: Typically, Monday through Friday 8:00 am to 5:00 pm and occasionally ½ day on Weekends, however longer hours may be required at busy times. Employee must be willing to travel off-site on one of our two mobile freezing laboratories to provide semen collection and freezing services.
Salary: Salary is commensurate with experience and ability
Benefits: Full time employees that have completed one year of service are also eligible to participate in a company sponsored 401K and profit sharing plan.
Interested parties should email or mail a Letter of Interest and Resume to:
Select Breeders Service, Inc.
961 Cayots Corner Rd