Equine Reproduction Technician
Peterson and Smith Equine Reproduction Center (PSERC) is seeking to hire an energetic and motivated individual to join the team of professionals at our Summerfield, Florida facility. PSERC is the leading provider of advanced equine reproduction services in Florida. PSERC conducts all aspects of assisted reproduction at its 96-acre facility in Summerfield, Florida. As part of the embryo transfer (ET) program the center maintains one of the largest recipient mare herds in the Eastern United States. The Center also offers stallion management services, which allows owners to utilize their stallions in a fresh, cooled/shipped or frozen semen breeding program. Stallion owners are offered a complete frozen semen program, from collection, through storage, to final distribution. As a member of the Select Breeders Service Affiliate Network, the Center is able to provide stallion owners with the leading equine frozen semen program in the industry.
We are offering a technician position with an emphasis on stallion management. The position requires knowledge of equine reproduction as well as experience in stallion management, semen collection and semen processing techniques. The ideal candidate is organized, self directed, detail oriented, flexible and a person who works well with others in a team atmosphere. Communication skills are also essential as this position requires regular interaction with customers as well as collaboration with veterinarians and staff.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities Include but are not limited to the following:
• Perform semen collections from resident and visiting stallions representing a wide variety of breeds
• Perform semen evaluation and processing procedures for cooled shipment and cryopreservation using specific SBS standard operating procedures
• Perform post-thaw semen evaluations using CASA equipment
• Maintain and analyze semen production and quality data and provide written reports for clients
• Assist with frozen semen storage and distribution program, including both domestic and international shipments
• Basic computer skills
• Microsoft office programs
• Will train to use our inhouse software
• Proficient in basic laboratory procedures
• Pipeting, Dilutions, Microscopy, Microbiology, etc.
• Thorough understanding of equine reproduction and breeding management
• Significant prior experience with semen collection and evaluation procedures
• Training in specific SBS protocols will be provided
Hours: Typically, Monday through Friday 8:00 am to 5:00 pm. Must be flexible on scheduling as more time may be required as the breeding season dictates.
Salary: Salary is commensurate with experience and ability
Benefits: Full time employees are eligible to participate in a company sponsored 401K (with Match), paid vacation, and medical insurance plan.
Interested parties should email or mail a Letter of Interest and Resume to:
Peterson and Smith Equine Reproduction Center
Attn: Jose Madera
15107 SE 47th ave.
Summerfield, FL 34491